“A. Yom Kippur is a Yom Tov, a festival day, which is observed like Shabbat. ”
“B. Afflicting your soul – “…on the tenth of the month, you shall afflict your souls and do no work at all…for on that day will G-d forgive you and cleanse you, that you may be clean from all your sins before G-d” (Leviticus 16:29-30). How does one afflict one’s soul and why? The oral law enumerates five prohibitions as the way to “afflict your soul” on Yom Kippur: eating and drinking, washing, annointing, wearing leather shoes and marital relations. By refraining from these actions, one is reminded that it is the spirit that must be the focus, not the body. It may seem the opposite is true, that a person would focus on being hungry or thirsty or uncomfortable from not washing, but such discomforts are temporary and on Yom Kippur one can transcend physical discomfort to connect with the spirit of the day.”
Yom Kippur is a Jewish holy day that takes place 10 days after Rosh Hashana (the Jewish New Year). Also known as the Day of Atonement, it is a time for introspection, prayer and forgiveness.
How to Prepare for the Yom Kippur Fast (By an eHow Contributor )
During Yom Kippur, the Jewish holiday also known as the Day of Atonement, adults are required to refrain from eating or drinking for a 25-hour period from one-half hour before sundown until nightfall the next day. By properly preparing your body for this “affliction of the soul,” as it is known, you can reduce the pain and discomfort associated with the fast.
1) Tart apples – 8, peeled, cored and sliced.
2) Water – 1/2 cup.
3) Cinnamon – 1 tsp.
4) Nutmeg – 1/4 tsp.
5) Flour – 1 cup.
6) Butter/margarine – 7 tsp., unsalted.
7) Sugar – 3/4 cup.
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Lightly butter a baking dish (dimensions: 7 1/2- by 11 3/4-inch). Scatter the peeled apple slices evenly across its bottom. Pour in the water. Also add in the cinnamon and nutmeg.
3) Get a small bowl. Pour in it the flour, butter and sugar. Combine all of it together with a fork or pastry blender until crumbly. Spread this mixture evenly over the apples and bake for 30 minutes (or until the top becomes crispy and the apple filling turns frothy).
4) Drizzle the apple crisp with some honey. Pour some vanilla ice cream also. Serve warm.
Cucumber Salad With Dill
1) Water – 1 cup.
2) White vinegar – 1 cup.
3) Salt – 1/4 tsp.
4) Sugar – 1 cup.
5) Cucumbers – 2 large (hot-house variety), sliced paper-thin.
6) Dried dill weed or Fresh minced dill – 2 tbsp.
7) Bibb lettuce – 1 head.
8) Arugala – 1 bunch.
9) Cherry tomatoes (for garnish)
10) A large glass bowl
1) In the large glass bowl, combine the water, vinegar, salt and sugar until the sugar dissolves. Add the cucumbers and toss.
2) Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
3) Take it out of the freezer and drain. Garnish with watercress and cherry tomatoes. Serve on lettuce leaves.