Unbelief in spiritual matters hinders a Christian from knowing God. This results in inability to receive and appropriate all the spiritual blessings that God has already given in the heavenly places. Why should one who has believed and has purposed in his heart to follow the Lord Jesus continue to live a defeated life?
It is the Father’s good pleasure to give you an abundant life, as His Son, Jesus had declared in Luke 4:18-19, that His mission on earth was to preach the gospel to the poor; heal the brokenhearted, proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; to proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord. He did exactly that during the time He walked on earth. Before He was raised to heaven He commanded the disciples to do the same and even greater things. They did after the Holy Spirit fell on them.
So why are some Christians still living an oppressed and captive life? What Jesus had given to every one who believes is supernatural living. A true freedom from all the powers that cause oppressions and depressions. The hindrance is spiritual. Unless one walks by the Holy Spirit and lives by the Holy Spirit of the Lord one continues to suffer under the old task master, the spiritual ruler of this world.
How to live the powerful more than conquerors life promised and given by Jesus? You need to live a life being led by the Holy Spirit just as the Son of God, Jesus, had demonstrated, filled with the Holy Spirit and power. Sons of God are led by the Holy Spirit. Romans 8:14
How to be led by the Spirit of God?
- Ask the heavenly Father and by faith receive the Holy Spirit as commanded by Jesus in Luke 11:13; James 1:17
- Walk by faith and not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7
- Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
- 2 Corinthians 4:18 while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
- Hebrews 11:3 By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible. (This is the key requirement: you need to believe in the word of God having the power to become real just as they are written.)
- Pray the two prayers that Paul prayed in Ephesians 1:17-23, 3:16-20. Pray to be filled with the Spirit. Ephesians 5:18. Praying always with all prayer and supplications in the Spirit. Ephesians 6:18
- Colossians 3:2-3Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
- Believe that you have the mind of Christ. 1 Corinthians 2:16
- Pray this prayer for your own mind as often as you need to (for a start, daily): 2 Corinthians 10:4-5For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, 5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
The big stronghold that blocks us from walking by the Spirit is our mind. We who think and analyze every word and action by empirical verifiable evidence block ourselves from knowing God, who is Spirit. John 4:23-24; 4:10; 7:37-38; 14:16, 26; 16:13
Apostle Paul knew this secret. He declared that his speech and preaching were in demonstration of the Holy Spirit and power of God. 1 Corinthians 2:4-5. The Spirit of God is given to us that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God. 2:12. God revealed them to us only through His Spirit. 2:10.
- Increase your reading of the Bible. Those who have read whole Bible and continue to re-read after their completion have experienced significant spiritual renewal of minds.
- Pray in the Spirit. Those who have practiced praying in tongue at least an hour or more daily in addition to reading the whole Bible and repeat the same reading, have achieved significant and refreshing spiritual insight and transformation.
- Gather together in 2-3 small group and read the Bible and pray in the Spirit together. Meet daily or as often as driven by your desire to know God. You will grow together spiritually and build each other up.
- Meditate on the word of God as led by the Spirit of God. Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you and reveal to you.
- When you pray whether alone or together ask the Holy Spirit to guide you into all truth and teach you how to pray, often using tongue and understanding using God’s words.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to lead you in everyday decision making. Build a habit of living by the Spirit.
- Let God’s word abide in you. This is only possible when you have read and re-read the Bible and meditate on the word with the help of the Spirit of God.