Today’s class at 5 am continues from Zechariah 7, the second part. We shall get on to the further Good News (in chapter eight) from God in the next lesson.
In Zechariah 7:11-14 After He reprimanded them for their own religious hypocrisy towards Him, God tells the present generation what their ancestors were like and how they opened themselves to evil:
- The key to effective prayers: Listen to God.
- How did God speak to them? God speaks through His words. The Holy Spirit sent His words. By His Spirit through the earlier prophets. Today we have all the messages spoken and written by the Spirit of God. The Bible is God’s words.
- Why did they not listen? they did not want to obey what they heard.How did the people make sure they could not hear God? They stubbornly deliberately covered their ears and also hardened their hearts toward God when the prophets spoke the words of God. The people still attended the usual worship and sacrifice and even festival services but they merely performed religious acts for themselves.
- When the people did not listen to God’s words, they received none of the blessings. Instead, they opened themselves to every evil and the curses thereof. They were scattered like the enemies of God and everything they had achieved went to waste.
- Take note that when we pray, God actually answers, When we stop our heart (which controls our spiritual ears) toward God, we just cannot hear God. Hearing God is a must for us to believe and receive. (Romans 10:10)
11 “Your ancestors refused to listen to this message. They stubbornly turned away and put their fingers in their ears to keep from hearing. 12 They made their hearts as hard as stone, so they could not hear the instructions or the messages that the Lord of Heaven’s Armies had sent them by his Spirit through the earlier prophets. That is why the Lord of Heaven’s Armies was so angry with them.
13 “Since they refused to listen when I called to them, I would not listen when they called to me, says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies. 14 As with a whirlwind, I scattered them among the distant nations, where they lived as strangers. Their land became so desolate that no one even traveled through it. They turned their pleasant land into a desert.”
______________________What Jesus says: