This is a controversial topic and Christians are looking for answer. Who is the ruler of this world? Jesus or another ruler? Whose kingdom are Christians in? Are Christians exempted from adversities and sufferings in the world? Did Jesus not assure His disciples not to be anxious or afraid? How shall Christians live wisely as instructed by Jesus when He sent the disciples into the world to share the good news of the Kingdom of God? Do the Bible have answers to these questions?
I shall share my personal notes here:
- In the beginning of this earth, after creation God gave Adam (mankind) the authority and dominion over the earth (living and non-living things). (Genesis 1:27-28)
- Adam gave this authority and dominion to the devil. By rebelling against God and submitting to the devil, Adam lost the dominion. God has not taken back this dominion. The devil is in control now in the world. What happens in the world under the dominion of the devil is not from God. (Genesis 2-3; Luke 4:5-7; John 14:30)
- To save mankind from eternal damnation, God sent His Son Jesus to become a man to atone for our sin by His blood and redeemed us. Because without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sins. By His death as a human He broke the power of sin (whose wages is death, Romans 3:23; 6:23) and freed those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death. (John 3:16-21; Hebrews 2:14-15, 9:22)
- Jesus fulfilled every prophesy by Moses and the prophets about Him in God’s salvation plan for mankind. (Isaiah 52-53; Matthew 26:24; Mark 9:12, 14:21, 27; Luke 4:17-21; 18:31; 20:17; 22:37; 24:44; 24:46)
- Jesus will come again to fulfill the remaining prophecies for mankind and the Kingdom of God in which He shall rule.
- Christians still live in the world while on earth. Christians are not of the world and should not love the world. (John 15:19; 1 John 2:15-16;
- Christians are to know and believe that God loves us. Love God, love His word, abide in God’s love, in Jesus and let the word of God abide in us. Love one another in Christ. (John 14:23; 15:9; 15:7)
- Christians are to live the lives that our Lord Jesus and the Scripture teach us and the power of the Holy Spirit enables us to live. (“As He is, so are we in this world.” (1 John 4:17); “he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do.” John 14:12)
- Christians are to watch and pray and live wisely as sons of God and be led by the Holy Spirit who will tell us all things. He will tell us the future. Pray in the Spirit and with the Spirit. (John 14:16-17, 24; 1 Corinthians 2:6-16; Romans 8:14; 8:16-17)
- Ask the Father in heaven just as what Jesus has repeatedly assured His believers: “Most assuredly, I say to you, whatever you ask the Father in My name He will give you. Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full.” (John 16:23-24, 26; 15:7; 14:13-14)
- Stay in the peace of Jesus: “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will[d] have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)
- Defense for Christians: put on Christ (Romans 13:14; Galatians 3:27); put on the new man created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness. (Ephesians 4:24; Colossians 3:10, 12); Put on the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-20; Romans 13:12)
John 15 ABIDE IN JESUS CHRIST AND BEAR FRUITS THAT LAST
7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will[b] ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
ABIDE IN GOD’S LOVE
9 “As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. 10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.
11 “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. 12 This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. 14 You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.
John 17 THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH TELLS US THE TRUTH AND THE FUTURE
13 However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will guide you into all truth; for He will not speak on His own authority, but whatever He hears He will speak; and He will tell you things to come. 14 He will glorify Me, for He will take of what is Mine and declare it to you. 15 All things that the Father has are Mine. Therefore I said that He will take of Mine and declare it to you.[c]
Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”Mark 13:33 Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is.Mark 14:38 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.”Luke 21:36 Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.”Ephesians 6:18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints—